“Iowa” is the only state name that starts with two vowels…so top that
I continue to receive abuse about the fact that I am taking my family to Iowa for summer vacation.
I have recently received some very important information, key little-known facts about the state of Iowa that I think just might change the opinion of some of the doubters in the crowd…
- Ripley’s Believe It or Not has dubbed Burlington’s Snake Alley the most crooked street in the world.
- Strawberry Point is the home of the world’s largest strawberry.
- Crystal Lake is home to a statue of the world’s largest bullhead fish.
- Elk Horn in the largest Danish settlement in the United States.
- Kalona is the largest Amish community west of the Mississippi River.
- The Cedar Rapids Museum of Art houses the largest collection of Grant
- Fenlon Place Elevator in Dubuque is the world’s steepest and shortest railway.
- Wright County has the highest percentage of grade-A topsoil in the nation.
- Quaker Oats, in Cedar Rapids, is the largest cereal company in the world
- Maynard Reece, born in Arnolds Park, is the only artist to win the Federal Duck Stamp
competition five times.
- Born Marion Robert Morrison in Winterset, John Wayne was the son of a pharmacist and grew up to become one of Hollywood’s most popular movie stars. The famous actor was born on May 26, 1907.
- Campers and smaller motor homes are manufactured in Winnebago County. They’re called Winnebago’s.
- Iowa is the only state whose east and west borders are 100% formed by water. Missouri (& Big Sioux) and Mississippi river.
- Iowa is the only state name that starts with two vowels.
With the best dirt, the best cereal, the most Amish (west of the Mississippi,) the biggest bullhead fish statue, John Wayne, and Winnebago’s who needs the beach or DisneyWorld…